Date :27 Jul, 2018
Posted By:Team Jitin Chawla's Centre for Career Development
THE ART OF CAREER DEVELOPMENT
The term Career Development is usually understood to be more in the spectrum of working professionals rather than students. However, Career Development is actually a lifelong process and starts right from the time the student chooses his or her career path. Ideally, Career Development is the process of managing work, leisure and the art of learning to move toward career goals and a brighter future.
Process of Career Development
Career development actually happens when the students follow a step-by-step process rather than follow a haphazard way to understand what they are inherently good at.
Step 1: Self-Assessment
The first step of the process is self-assessment. To develop career goals in a certain way, you have to identify your interests, aptitude and personality. However, it is quite difficult to introspect on an individual level.
Step 2: Aptitude Testing and Counselling
The second step is to undertake aptitude testing and go for career counselling. Go for scientific aptitude tests to ascertain where your abilities and skills lie. Moreover, personality tests which have enough parameters to help you find the right career path, also help. Career counselling really helps you determine your interests, aptitude and personality through a series of tests.
Step 3: Exploration of Career Options
In this step, the idea is to explore the career options that are available as per your pre-set career goals, skills, interest and aptitude. You can research for the same, however, it is ideal to consult an expert career counsellor. A professional will use career library and resources to find the right careers options for you. You can also talk to other people from the same field to have a general overview of the available or best-suited career options.
Step 4: Profile Building
For choosing the right career path, ‘Profile Building’ or ‘Personality Development’ plays a pivotal role. Not only would it enhance your resume, but it would also widen your horizons and emancipate knowledge extensively.
Step 5: Implementation
In this step, students prepare for the job interviews or complete the applications for graduate school. This process typically involves mock interviews, networking, resume writing and cover letters.
Methods of Career Development
Career Development programs and services are intended to help individuals to explore and sort out questions related to employability, career guidance, skills development, personality development, progression, etc.
While many individuals go through this process independently, almost everyone can benefit greatly from an expert’s help.. This type of intervention can begin as early as from elementary school, and it should continue throughout adulthood.
Such services are provided in many different settings, such as:
1. Websites and Guides: There are plenty of websites and guides that help individuals to explore and find their own learning and work directions to make their own choices.
2. Academic Institutions: Schools, colleges and universities also help students to provide the resources for career development and help them make successful transitions from school to work.
3. Career Counsellors: Career Counsellors help people from all walks of life towards formulating the plan of action for career development. Whether it is a school student, or a college student or a working professional, career counsellors ascertain the individual’s skills and interests to provide personal counselling accordingly.
4. Career Development Workshops: Plenty of organisations, academic and professional, organise workshops for career development. These workshops range from students meet at schools to team building exercises at office. Career Development workshops may be utilised to motivate individuals or to enlighten them with knowledge and information.
Tips for Constructive Career Development
1. Analyse and Re-analyse: Find out what you are passionate about. Whether it is through an organisation or an assessment test, understand and then analyse what suits your skills, knowledge, interest best.
2. Use Your Resources to the Full Potential: Go and talk to your teachers, parents and career counsellors about the scope of your career path. Use the internet to explore more about the career options. Start putting your skills and plan on what would help you in career building.
3. Hands-On Experience: Apply for internship and volunteer immensely. Internship in your desired field would prove to be valuable tool for profile building. Learn, learn and only learn during the internship.
4. Network Well: You never know who might prove helpful for a relevant and much-needed career opportunity. Network with any and every one you meet. Build positive relationships and keep those relationships alive.
We, at Jitin Chawla’s Centre for Career Development, focus on providing 360-degree career development solutions to individuals. With expert psychologists and career guides, Jitin Chawla’s Centre for Career Development understands what is best for you and helps you draw a path for a brighter career. Right from career development workshops and career counselling sessions, we also lay emphasis on systematic psychometric testing to find your actual abilities, interests, aptitude and personality, which are deciding factors to draft the right career choices for you.